Six superb easy recipes for cooking with kids
Cooking is an excellent activity not only for adults but also for kids. It can help children develop imagination and coordination, and it is a great opportunity for parents to spend quality time together with their children.
Creative Ideas put together six easy recipes for cooking with kids of all ages. Turn your weekend into a fun and interesting mini adventure by preparing for a dinner party with your little chef.
For little cooks (3-5 years)
Even at such a young age, children understand basic cooking methods and can implement some of the easiest recipes. Kneading, grinding and mixing are activities that can develop motor skills, so these are the perfect tasks for children ages 3-5. Still, it’s important to be very careful and control their actions. Here are two very simple recipes:
Chocolate banana pudding
© varandao ©
- 3 bananas
- 4 teaspoons cream
- 9 oz (250 g) melted chocolate
- Peel the bananas. Use a fork to mash them into the consistency of purée.
- Combine the chocolate and cream.
- Add chocolate mixture to the banana purée.
- Put the mixture in the refrigerator for 1 hour. The dessert is ready!
© dishmaps ©
- Juice from 4 lemons
- 4 teaspoons of honey
- 9 oz (250 g) sour cream
- A little grated lemon zest
- Mix the lemon juice with honey until smooth.
- Gradually add sour cream, stirring constantly.
- Pour the resulting mixture into pudding cups.
- Garnish with grated lemon rind or some bright berries.
- Put your pudding in the freezer for an hour. Enjoy!
For experienced cooks (6-8 years)
At this age, children are much more independent and are able to cook more complicated meals. They have no trouble remembering given instructions, so parents’ supervision at all times is no longer needed and monitoring the result of each step will be enough. They can use sharp utensils for simple operations and boil products. Here are two great recipes for kids aged 6-8:
- 5 eggs
- 7 oz (200 g) field mushrooms
- 2 teaspoons cheese sauce
- A little green onion
- 7 oz (200 g) cheese
- Salt and pepper
- You may add various other ingredients, according to your taste: ham, tomatoes, onion etc.
- Whisk the eggs.
- Combine the eggs and the cheese sauce, whisk until smooth.
- Add salt, pepper and onion.
- Grate the cheese.
- In a frying pan, sauté the mushrooms until they begin to give off their juices.
- Pour the egg mixture over the mushrooms. Don’t stir. Fry one side.
- Sprinkle grated cheese on top.
- Flip the omelette onto the other side when the eggs are well cooked.
- Transfer to a plate, and enjoy!
- Ready-made dough
- Tomato paste
- Optional ingredients of your choice: ham, chicken, mushrooms, corn, olives, etc.
- While preparing the ingredients, preheat the oven to 392 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Spread tomato paste over the dough.
- Top with sliced tomatoes.
- Sprinkle some grated cheese on top of the tomatoes.
- Add your own ingredients according to your taste: meat, vegetables, herbs etc.
- Add a little basil.
- Put in the oven for 15-20 minutes. The your pizza will be ready!
For expert cooks (9-12 years)
At this age, children can become experts at cooking. They often come up with an endless stream of new ideas and their own recipes; it’s an ideal moment to help develop a child’s imagination and independence. Observe your child, but from far enough away so that you’re not being intrusive or disruptive. Trust your kid, believe in his or her abilities and support his or her ideas. Offer your child these recipes:
Pasta in Cheese Sauce
- 3.5 oz (100 g) short pasta (portion per person)
- 10.5 oz (300 g) cream
- Boil the water in a pan and add salt.
- When the water starts boiling add the pasta and cook for the time indicated on the package (usually 7-15 minutes).
- Grate the cheese.
- Cut the ham into small cubes.
- In a small frying pan, cook the ham without using oil until golden brown.
- Chop the parsley.
- Add the cream and parsley to the ham. Stir well.
- Sprinkle grated cheese over the resulting mixture.
- Combine the sauce with pasta, and that’s it! Your dish is ready to serve.
Homemade cinnamon rolls
- cinnamon powder
- white bread
- melted chocolate
- Slice the bread and cut the crusts off.
- Mix the cinnamon and sugar together.
- Roll out the bread.
- Cut the resulting ’’bread dough’’ into long rectangular pieces.
- Spread the chocolate over the upper side of each slice.
- Top with the cinnamon-sugar mixture.
- Roll up each piece as shown in the photo.
- Grease the tops of the rolls lightly with melted butter and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar again.
- Place the rolls in the oven for just 5 minutes, and enjoy.
Preview photo credit Gettyimages
May 17, 2017 -
Posted by admin
- No Comments